Bigger, Badder, Bolder – these are the best three words to describe the Maxon ST-9 Pro Plus Super Tube Pedal.
The latest and possibly last incarnation of Maxon’s legendary 808, the ST-9 features more output, more gain, and more tonal options for the player who simply needs – well, MORE.
Starting with a circuit loosely based on the classic 808 architecture, the ST-9 adds a Mid Enhance knob to control the amount of midrange boost. This knob functions similarly to an amp’s presence control, boosting perceived volume and gain as it’s turned up.
You may be wondering why an 808-style pedal would need more presence – allow us to introduce you to the ST-9’s Low Boost switch. The Low Boost switch is the ST-9’s secret weapon – This unassuming switch completely changes the character of the pedal, adding beefy low end and increased saturation via a LP filter and an alternate set of clipping diodes.
If this wasn’t enough, the ST-9 also offers 9- or 18-volt operation via an internal charge pump. Run at 9 for the classic 808 sound and feel or switch to 18 for increased headroom, improved dynamics, and a bigger, chunkier tone to the overdrive.
From bluesy overdrive to diabolical dirt box, the Maxon ST-9 Pro Plus Super Tubee is a devilishly diverse pedal that can punish a clean amp or turn a dirty amp into a wall of doom.
- Input Impedance: 500K Ohms
- Output Impedance: 10K Ohms or less
- Maximum Gain: 51dB (2.2 kHz)
- Equivalent Input Noise: -115dB or less (IHF-A)
- Control: MID ENHANCE, DRIVE, TONE, LEVEL
- Switch: Bypass/Effect, Voltage Switch (9V/18V) MODE Switch (CLASSIC/LOW BOOST)
- Indicator: Bypass/Effect LED, 9V LED, 18V LED
- Internal Circuit Voltage: 9VDC / 18VDC (DC / DC Converter)
- Power Consumption: 12mA/9VDC, 36mA/18VDC
- Dimensions: 74 (W) x 124 (D) x 54 (H) mm
- Weight: 610g (including battery, excluding AC adaptor
- Power Supply: 6F22 / 6LR6 9V battery x 1 or Maxon AC adaptor
- Standard Accessory: AC adaptor AC2009, user’s guide
- Battery life:
9VDC manganese battery 26 hours @ 25 degrees C (Panasonic 6F22NB)
9VDC alkaline battery 48 hours @ 25 degrees C (Panasonic 6LR61G)
18VDC manganese battery 2 hours @ 25 degrees C (Panasonic 6F22NB)
18VDC alkaline battery 8 hours @ 25 degress C (Panasonic 6LR61G) Option: AC adaptor (Maxon AC210N)